--> Getting It Right: A note on comments and email

Monday, October 31, 2005

A note on comments and email

I try to answer every email I get through 24 Hours Daily and this site. It doesn't always work out that way, but I feel if people take the time to write (or rant), they deserve the courtesy of a reply.

However - sometimes they don't leave an accurate email and I have no way of getting an answer to them. Below follows the note from one such reader and my response.


-----Original Message-----
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:13:19
To:erin.airton@24hrs.ca
Subject: 24hrs Vancouver Email for RIGHT ON



Message:
Dear Erin, As a mother, one would think that you might be concerned about the status of education in British Columbia. Perhaps it is time that you realize the sad truth that municipal elections don't deserve the same time and attention that our children, the leaders of tomorrow, rightfully deserve. Any good parent knows this to be true. Maybe you need to re-evaluate your priorities for your children's sake. Sincerely, A concerned parent and advid reader of 24

Email:
abc_educator@yahoo.com

Name:
Jill Whitefield


And my response...

Dear Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to write. I'm not sure where I've left you with the impression that I don't care about the education of our children in this province. I regret it highly, in fact, if that is the case.

All sides are now meeting at the Learning Roundtable and frankly, as a columnist, my editor demands that I write about current and top-of-news issues. Also, as citizens, we do need to grapple with other important items facing our cities like crime, development and green space.

Most of all, I'm happy my daughter is back in school and I hope sincerely that the teachers and the government reach some agreement.

Again, I apologize if I was not clear about my views on the critical nature of public education in BC and hope that you will keep in touch.

Regards,
Erin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home