--> Getting It Right: Americans...friends/foes/neither

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Americans...friends/foes/neither

Nothing like blatant unfairness by a trading partner to get the most global-village girl all riled up. Right now the Americans are making it pretty darn tough to be a free-trade advocate amid growing Canadian nationalist drum-banging.

The irony? The Canadians who deplore Americans for their nationalistic tendencies are following the American footsteps. The second irony? For these Canadians, American nationalism is dangerous and bullying - but in Canada these self-same traits mean you are a "good Canadian", CBC style.

I say we just turn our backs on the world, break out a case of Canadian, burrow into our log cabins and sleep the winter away.

Or perhaps invest in some countervailing duties with teeth.

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Nastyboy said...

Agreed. I have no malice or afinity towards the Americans, but this trade situation is getting nuts. And I find nationalism in any form silly.

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about auckland waterski club
. You can check it out at auckland waterski club
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog about costa rica travel forum and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about costa rica travel forum so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here! If you get a chance, please stop by costa rica travel forum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home